Academic Information


Introductory Course Descriptions

FAQ for intro courses

B.S. Program Requirements

B.A. Program Requirements

International Students Office

Physics Library

Program for Prospective Teachers

Minor in Physics

Advising Honors in Major

Senior Thesis Procedures


General Advice for Undergraduates:


  • Your transcript (available on Webcat) shows you semester by semester what courses you are enrolled in and your grade.
  • Your degree evaluation (available on Webcat) lets you know how you are progressing toward your degree.  In particular, it will let you know what writing intensive and Discovery requirements you have fulfilled.  The one thing that the degree evaluation does not show accurately is if you have met the physics requirments; your advisor will verify by hand in your last semester that you have satisfied these requirements.
  • You should keep two lists:  one of all your requirements and when you have or plan to fulfill them, another of your anticipated schedule for your entire time at UNH.  These sheets should be updated once a semester, before you meet with your advisor to chose courses for next semester.
  • allows you to look up details about courses (including time, room, professor, and seats available)
  • Discovery and Writing Intensive courses can be found by searching on
  • The Registrar's website has many forms, deadlines, etc.


Opportunities to consider:

  • It is possible to have a second major (math is a common choice), or a minor in another subject.  You will need an advisor in that other department to help you choose courses.  They will also be able to tell you which semesters required courses are offered.  Be aware that scheduling conflicts are more likely with a second major or minor.  A second major is more likely to take more time, or require courses duirng the summer or J-term.
  • We offer options in Material Science, Astronomy, and Chemical Physics, to allow you to specialize.  If you want to do an option, it is best to decide by the middle of your sophomore year.
  • Honors in major is open to students with a high enough GPA.
  • There are many opportunities to do research, both at UNH and elsewhere, for undergraduates.  You can start as early as your freshman or junior year.  For how to get into research, click here .


Suggestions to avoid significant troubles:

  • You must earn a "C" grade or better in all of your required 400 and 500 level courses for physics.  If you earn a lower grade, you must retake the course in order to graduate.  The goal is to make sure that you have a solid foundation to build on in the upper level courses.
  • If you are finding yourself lost in a course, don't let your confusion last more than a few days.  Get help from other students or the professor.  Because physics courses typically build on previous knowledge, confusions should be addressed quickly.  Students typically find working in groups is enjoyable and productive.Mark the last day to drop courses on your calendar.  After that date you cannot drop a course unless you have a significant non-academic reason (e.g. a long term illness).  Take a bit of time before that date to evaluate whether you have the time and background to do as well as you would like in the courses you are registered for.
  • Keep all of your graded papers until a course is over and the grade is final.  Grade recording errors are possible even in small classes, and more likely in large classes;  a graded paper can easily resolve issues of mis-entered grades.
  • Check once a semester that you know what courses you still need to take in order to graduate, and when those courses are offered, so that there are no surprises to keep you from graduating on time.